Saturday 12 March 2016

Words, Words, Words

Last night I attended a drinks party and preview of an exhibition in the Story of Jersey Gallery at the Jersey Museum for a project developed in partnership with the Jersey Festival of Words, 'Words, Words, Words'. (Here's a scary picture of me standing next to my piece for the project).

Twenty-five local writers - authors, poets, playwrights and journalists - were given a random exhibit with the challenge of writing a 60 word label. My object was a flattened musket ball that had been shot into the shoulder of a Mrs Fiott when she looked out of her window to see what was going on during the Battle of Jersey on 6 January 1781. My story is called, The Keepsake and it was exciting to see it printed up and standing next to the objects that I'd been sent to write about (the musket ball and a small painted miniature of Mrs Fiott).

The labels are on display  at the Jersey Museum from Saturday 12 March and the project is well worth visiting. In fact the museum is a 'must see' if you live on the island, or visit here. I've eaten lunch at the brilliant brasserie there and had drinks, I've also attended talks with the Jersey Writers in rooms at the museum but I haven't taken the time to look around the fascinating history of this island for far too long. 

It was a wonderful evening and I'm delighted to have been asked to take part.

4 comments:

Rosemary Gemmell said...

What a wonderful opportunity, Debs! I'd love to know what you wrote as it sounds quite a challenge. It's too many years since I visited Jersey and really want to go again sometime!

Teresa Ashby said...

It sounds wonderful, Debs - and that picture is not at all scary, you look lovely! The story of the musket ball and Mrs Fiott sounds fascinating :-) xx

Deborah Carr said...

Thanks Rosemary! I'll check if I can share what I've written and then do so. x

Deborah Carr said...

Thanks, Teresa! It was fun to do and I was delighted to be asked to take part. x